When interviewing caterers, you should ask these ten questions before making a decision and signing the contract:
1. Do you have a catering license?
A catering license means the caterer has met local health department standards and carries liability insurance.
2. Do you specialize in catering Indian weddings?
Many ethnic restaurants offer catering services but not all have the experience or expertise to handle large Indian weddings.
3. Do you offer menu tasting before we hire you? Is it an extra charge?
Recommendations are great but you need to taste to the food to really make an informed decision. A reputable caterer will gladly schedule a tasting for your peace of mind.
4. Are you working other weddings or events the same day or weekend?
You want to make sure that your wedding will get the attention it deserves. If you have doubts about the caterer handling multiple events on the same day then look elsewhere.
5. Are you able to prepare special meals for guests with dietary restrictions?
Some caterers will accommodate special meal requests for guests that are vegetarian or eat halal. There likely will be extra charges for special requests so make sure you know the price up-front.
6. What type of linen, glassware, plates, and flatware do you provide?
Ask to see these items if your caterer is providing them to make sure they meet your standard.
7. What will your staff wear?
If the caterer is providing waitstaff then you want to make sure they dress appropriately for the tone and style of your wedding.
8. Who will oversee the event on the day of?
To avoid miscommunication, the person that will oversee the event should be involved throughout the planning process. Get the contact information of the person in charge and have at least one backup contact.
9. Will you include everything we agree upon in a written contract?
This is absolutely critical. Do NOT sign a generic contract with little details. A contract must include the wedding details, exactly what you’re getting, payment schedule, and refund policy. Also, make sure to read the fine print in the vendor contract.
10. What kind of price packages do you offer?
Aside from creating a customized menu, catering companies offer a variety of packages to choose from depending on your budget and needs. Make sure you know exactly what you’re getting if you decide to opt for a preset package.